Whether you are looking for a relaxing escape, a cozy celebration or a multi-generational family reunion, make Palazzo Margherita all yours for a few days...or more!
- - Your own Palazzo
- - Breakfast included
- - 7 Rooms, 2 suites
- - Eat-in Kitchen
- - Magical garden
- - Two private bars
- - Swimming pool
- - Bar Bistrot -public bar
- - Opulent salon
- - Bikes available
- - Eco Friendly
- - Garden Grigliata
19th Century Palazzo centered on a magical courtyard and a lush garden with a baroque fountain
Palazzo Margherita, is situated in Bernalda, a small hilltop town in the Basilicata region of Southern Italy. Located in the province of Matera, famous for its ancient cave dwellings, dramatic landscapes, and historic houses, Bernalda is relatively unknown outside of Italy, just ten minutes from the coast.
While the neighboring region of Puglia has become popular with tourists, Basilicata is largely undiscovered—one of a few remaining parts of Italy where the culture, food, and wine remain authentic and untouched by the world beyond.
Imagine having access to 9 luxurious guest rooms and suites accommodating up to 26* guests, and enjoying a number of exclusive amenities.
Palazzo Margherita’s cuisine is among our most distinctive peculiarities. The dishes are inspired by local culinary traditions. Palazzo Margherita, use only organic products from local small businesses. The result is a delicious blend of authentic flavors.
Choose the Palazzo for your exclusive stay, to share with your loved ones. In addition to all the amenities reserved to a private rental.
- A special aperitif, to welcome your party upon arrival, served with homemade appetizers;
- A welcome candlelit family style Dinner. In the first night, we will arrange this special meal with a variety of local DOC wines;
and a further, unique experience of your choice:
- Suggestion I: A private guided tour of Matera and a light lunch in a characteristic Trattoria in the Unesco Heritage town!
- Suggestion II: A half-day excursion on a sailing boat, along the Ionian Coast. You will enjoy a refreshing aperitif & snack on board!
At a glance
- Palazzo Margherita is designed respecting the environment and the area where it is located. It has made important environmental improvements to its structure in order to minimize its impact on the natural environment. It also brings every day economic benefits to poorer destinations, through cultural exchange and understanding, and through self growth.
- The intimate palazzo has seven large suites and two garden rooms. Each is a unique work of art and features luxurious linens and elegant bathrooms. Many of the rooms feature a large terrace and/or a Juliet balcony; some face the charming interior garden, others look onto the leafy town square. All rooms were individually designed in order to capture the essence of being in a very special home.
- Bernalda remains largely undiscovered and is one of a few remaining parts of Italy where the culture, food and wine remain authentic and untouched by the world beyond.
- Enjoy your local breakfast, which includes homemade pastries, fresh local cheeses, local artisanal cold cuts, seasonal fruits and juices
- The beautiful Salon can be turned into a screening room, where you can enjoy classic Italian and international movies personally selected by Mr. Coppola
- Enjoy sunny days at the pool and order your wine, cocktail and other drinks at the Pool Bar.
- Your children will enjoy staying at the Palazzo; there are activities as a pizza/ pasta making course with the chef in the dine –in kitchen, gardening in the beautiful ancient garden, treasure hunt in the ancient town of Bernalda, screening of cartoons in our Salon. Additional charges apply for baby sitting, Natural park activities (10 min drive), kids bike rental, picnic and more.
- At the front of the Palazzo, the Cinecittà Bar is a traditional café and pizzeria that spills out onto Bernalda's main street and looks onto the town square. It is a perfect spot for people-watching, mingling with the local life, and sipping our delicious Italian coffee, which is all supplied by Illy.
- If you would like to explore the area, there are exclusive tour packages, focused on the best of Basilicata in terms of history, nature, culture and culinary traditions can be arranged on request. The activities are tailored according to your preferences, with the aim to let you experience first hand the features of this region, which is still preserved.
- The number of guests suitable for the nine rooms/suites is subject to the comfort of those wishing to share some accommodations as adults or with children. For groups larger than 26 who wish to have exclusive use of Palazzo Margherita, we can assist with more modest accommodations within walking distance and can serve meals at Palazzo Margherita to a group of up to 35 guests.
- Rates shown on our website, represents the minimum rate in low season. Send us a request and we will get back to you with the best
- Rates include 10% VAT, in-room beverages, breakfast, Wi-Fi available in the entire property, bicycles, a cooking lesson and a complimentary return transfer (departure at 10:30 am and return at 4:00 pm) to/from our private sandy beach close to the old pine forest 15 minutes drive from the Palazzo.
Enjoy the local area
Palazzo Margherita is situated in Bernalda, a small hilltop town in the Basilicata region of Southern Italy located in the province of Matera, famous for its ancient cave dwellings, dramatic landscapes and historic houses. Bernalda is relatively unknown outside of Italy. It is just ten minutes from the coast, where miles of white sand beaches border the Ionian Sea, as this part of the Mediterranean is known. While the neighboring region of Puglia has become popular with tourists, Bernalda remains largely undiscovered—one of a few remaining parts of Italy where the culture, food and wine remain authentic and untouched by the world beyond.
Sports & Outdoors
Within 15 minutes of the Palazzo, we have a special private area of a beach club close to the old pine forest, which extends along the cobalt blue shores of the Ionian Sea, as this stretch of the Mediterranean is known. We can transport our guests to this secluded beach with a free shuttle service (departure at 10:30 am in the morning and return at 4 pm to the Palazzo) where they can choose to book either an umbrella or a gazebo. In addition, we suggest either a picnic lunch (prepared by our chefs) or a characteristic lunch with fresh fish of the day, caught by local fishermen.
Monuments & Museums
Two eighteen-hole golf courses are less than a half-hour drive from the Palazzo. Tennis courts are also nearby. For hikers, the Pollino National Park, Italy’s largest, offers spectacular mountain trails and wildlife an hour’s drive from the Palazzo. Locally, we provide bicycles and itineraries for fitness and sightseeing tours.
Monuments & Museums
From neolithic cave dwellings to the ancient Greek ruins outside Metaponto to the superb contemporary sculpture museum in Matera, Basilicata is home to a diverse array of cultural and historical attractions. Our concierge will suggest itineraries to match every interest (including anyone with a penchant for horror! The abandoned ghost town of Craco is a 40- minute drive away).
How to get here
Intercontinental guests may fly into Rome or Naples
Bari Airport is located one hour and twenty minutes from the property
Brindisi Airport is located one hour and twenty minutes from the property.
Private charters can fly into Taranto-Grottaglie Airport, forty-five minutes from the property.
Private transports are available upon request.
- Activity planning
- Airport transfers
- Concierge Service
- In room spa treatment
- Massage services
- Private chef
- Room service
- Shuttle service
- Wedding service
- Air Conditioning
- Breakfast included
- Coffee maker
- Full equipped kitchen
- Ipod dock
- Dining Area
- Outdoor furniture
- Outdoor shower
- Outdoor toilet
- Sun Loungers
- Swimming pool
Linen & Supplies
- Bathroom amenities
- Pool Towels
- Bicycle rental service
- Celebration venue
Entertainment & Experiences
- Board games
- Cooking class
- Swimming pool