La Bandita Townhouse is a 12-room luxury boutique hotel tucked inside the historic center of Pienza, a tiny renaissance jewel of a village in southern Tuscany. The building is a rambling renaissance-era palazzo where nuns have lived for over 500 year
- - 12-room boutique hotel
- - Honesty bar in the library
- - Historic center of Pienza
- - UNESCO World Heritag
- - Air conditioning
- - Breakfast included
- - Free diner for children >5
- - Near shopping area
- - Private Spa suite
- - Private medieval garden
A tiny renaissance jewel in Tuscany
La Bandita Townhouse is a 12-room luxury boutique hotel tucked inside the historic center of Pienza, a tiny renaissance jewel of a village in southern Tuscany. The building is a rambling renaissance-era palazzo where nuns have lived for over 500 years.
With its main door on the Corso Rossellino, a cobblestone lane, the property itself blends in completely with the Renaissance character of the rest of the village, its façade indistinguishable from the attached buildings. No exterior changes were made in the renovation, and a not a single square meter of space was added.
Rather than drop a new formal hotel into an old town, the owners aimed to create a comfortable, fun, and stylish place to relax, eat well and get caught up in the daily rhythms of everyday life here: the stillness of the main piazza in the morning, the old ladies making their daily shopping trail, and the evening hum of bustling trattorias.
Inside, the lines of nuns’ cells have been replaced by 12 large guest rooms that bring together contemporary design with wood beam ceilings, parquet floors, and exposed stone walls that are centuries old.
The hotel was named to Conde Nast Traveler’s Hot List of best new hotels of the year in 2013, and in 2016 was selected as a new member of Design Hotels, a curated selection of the world’s most stylish and exclusive independent hotels.
All the rooms have queen size beds, high ceilings, luxury fixtures and air conditioning. Many have large windows onto the stone lanes where village life is played out daily. From the top floor suites, you have sweeping views across the Val D’orcia to Montepulciano, Montefollonico and Monte Amiata.
Standard room of 25 m2 with Queen size bed and garden view € 295,- euro per room, per night
Superior room of 35 m2 with Queen size bed and twin bed € 325,- euro per room, per night
Junior Suite of 45 m2, Queen size bed and Twin size bed: € 450,- euro per room, per night
Common areas include a large open library with an honor bar and reading chairs.
Behind the property is a private walled medieval garden, that forms a unique oasis inside the village, like a green piazza.
La Bandita Townhouse is closed Jan 7-March 15 each year.
At a glance
- Experience this comfortable, fun, and stylish place to relax, eat well and get caught up in the daily rhythms of everyday life here: the stillness of the main piazza in the morning, the old ladies making their daily shopping trail, and the evening hum of bustling trattorias
- Inside, the lines of Nuns cells have been replaced by twelve modern and ancient rooms with high ceilings and large windows
- The Town House offers different rooms a mini spa and a gourmet restaurant.
- The small restaurant with open kitchen named ''Townhouse Caffe'' has an open kitchen for guests to have direct interaction with the chef while he is working. Glaswegian chef David Mangan puts local ingredients to good use. Expect dishes such as hand-cut tagliatelle with lemon rocket pesto. There is an intimate covered outdoor seating area inside the walled medieval garden.
- Enjoy your drink at aperitivo hour at the stocked honesty bar in the library.
- Stroll around the private medieval garden, that forms a unique oasis inside the village, like a green piazza.
- Relax at the private spa suite for treatments and relaxation in the Jacuzzi and steam room.
- Would you like to spend a day at the pool? Although there is no pool at the Townhouse, you have access to the pool of the hotel just 10 minutes outside Pienza where our guests can have lunch and use the swimming pool, and it is often possible to spend the day at the pool at our sister property La Bandita Countryhouse.
- La Bandita Townhouse is located inside the historic center of Pienza, walking distance to shops and restaurants. Pienza is a real highlight of the area: a tiny Renaissance village and UNESCO World Heritage Site that is ringed by some of Tuscany’s most beautiful countryside. Pienza also makes for a great base for exploring the vineyards and little towns of the area as well as Siena and Tuscany in general.
- Check in at 4 pm and check out at toon, flexible subject to availability
- Rates shown, represents the min rates per night in low season. We only make reservations on request, meaning our personalised offers are guaranteed to be the best available, and exclusive to our guests. Your reservation will be confirmed 24 hours after request. It then becomes definitive, and you will immediately receive an email confirmation with the details of your booking. We ensure pricing transparency for our guests: there are no hidden booking fees.
- Rates include daily breakfast in the Townhouse Caffe, free wifi, mini bar of soft drinks, unlimited bottled water, coffee and tea, personal laundry (on stays of 3 or more days). There is an English-speaking concierge staff that can help with all arrangements and activities from wine tastings, vineyard and farm visits, restaurant recommendations, transfers and general travel advice.
Enjoy the local area
Pienza is the heart of Tuscany, both geographically as well as symbolically, as it sits in the midst of
some of the most photographed landscapes in Italy.
The Val D’Orcia is the quintessential Tuscany of post cards and calendars, and has been rigorously protected from modern development. The breathtaking, unblemished landscape and rich history earned it a designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004 and served as the film sets for The English Patient, Gladiator, and Under the Tuscan Sun.
Not only is it a charming hill town, it’s also a village that has maintained a base of full time residents. Here you’ll find artisanal cheese producers, handmade and locally designed leatherwear, and restaurants serving pici freshly rolled each morning.
Although many consider this area to be the prettiest in Tuscany, there are no “top ten” sites, nothing to tick off your list, unless your list includes lingering in the glow of a warm trattoria, a private Brunello wine tasting at a family owned vineyard, or having a gem of a renaissance piazza all to yourself on a moonlit night.
Distances to major airports/train stations
– Florence 1.5 hours
– Rome 2 hours
– Pisa 2.5 hours
– Chiusi-Chianciano Train station 45 minutes
- Air Conditioning
- Breakfast included
- Coffee maker
- Concierge Service
- Laundry Room
- Satellite TV
Linen & Supplies
- Bathroom amenities
Entertainment & Experiences
- Steam room
- Wine tasting
- House keeping
- Wine tasting
- Pets allowed